- Mumbles Yacht Club
746 Mumbles Road
- Tel: 01792 369321
- Free wireless broadband is available to all visitors. Ask behind the bar for the password.
Directions from the M4
- Leave M4 at junction 42; the deceleration lane bends to the left sharply so be careful!!
- Join the A483 and follow it into Swansea; watch your speed (cameras).
- Keep in one of the two left lanes as you crosss the river.
- Follow the coast road all the way around the bay into Mumbles village.
- Drive through the village.
- Drive past a mini childrens park on the left.
- Drive past the Pilot pub on the right.
- Take the next left into Knab Rock car park.
- Ask at the Knab Rock office (on left as you enter) where to leave your boat.
- If nobody is in the office, leave it on the "Knuckle" adjacent to the slipway ahead.
- MYC is opposite the car park entrance.
- If you go up a hill with the pier down to the left, you've just missed us!
You can leave your boat trailer in the Knab Rock "Knuckle" trailer park adjacent to the slip. If you have any queries, ask at the Knab Rock office on the left as you enter.
You can usually arrange a spot for your boat on Knab Rock trailer park if you're visiting for a short time. However it's probably worth calling the Knab Rock Office (01792 360082) to arrange something just-in-case. If you are a member of the RYA or an RYA affiliated club, you can use the club facilities and join-in with the club sailing or racing for a nominal charge.
During any event, breakfast, lunch and evening meals are usually available from the club galley. Please direct any queries to us using the club number 01792 369321. Alternatively, being a seaside holiday village, there is a huge range of eating establishments within walking distance of the club; just head down the Mumbles Mile into Mumbles.
The Mumbles Mile
The road between the club and Mumbles itself is nicknamed The Mumbles Mile; a mile(ish) of ~15 places to drink and probably an equal number of places to eat...
The following links can be used to find rentals and B&Bs etc.
Camping (none on site)
Clyne Farm Centre. "About three miles from the club on a hill overlooking Swansea Bay and Mumbles (£4 taxi ride). They have a small campsite and a secure parking for boats and trailers. There are showers and a washing up room housed in a restored 19th century railway goods wagon with solar heated water. The cost of camping is £5 per person per night with under 5s free of charge. Camper vans are welcome but unfortunately we cannot accommodate caravans. For the less hardy there are nine 4 star self catering cottages and barns and for the really adventurous Challenge Valley - the muddiest assault course in the world!! or horseriding." Clyne Farm Centre, Westport Avenue, Mayals, Swansea. Tel 01792 403333, clynefarm.com.
Camper vans are usually allowed in Knab Rock car park for the duration of the event for the standing charges (apx. £5.00 per day) but it may be worth checking first with Knab Rock office during Bank Holidays or for extended periods. Ask to speak to Huw or Nigel on 01792 360082.
Useful telephone numbers
- The club, 01792 369321
- Taxi, 01792 367777
- Knab Rock office (car/boat park opposite the club), 01792 360082
- Bristol Channel Yacht Club (next door), 01792 366000
- Swansea Tourist Information, 01792 468321
- Mumbles Tourist Information, 01792 361302
- HM Coastguard, Mumbles (for weather update), 01792 366534
- Swansea Marina, 01792 470310
- Swansea Police, 01792 456999
- Singleton Hospital, 01792 205666
- Morriston Hospital, 01792 702222
- Swansea Port Health Authority, 01792 650855
Local radio stations
- The Wave, 96.4 FM
- Swansea Sound, 1170 MW
- Red Dragon, 103.2-97.4 FM
- Real Radio, 105-106 FM
- BBC Radio Wales, 93-96 and 104 FM FM
Useful VHF radio channels
- MYC Base, 37a
- Tawe Lock, 18
- Swansea Marina, 80
- Swansea Dock, 14
- HM Coastguard, Swansea, 16 then 67
Tourism & leisure
Mumbles village is at the start of the Gower Peninsula - the first area in the UK to be awaraded an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Sailing equipment and clothing
If you walk (easier than trying to park) from the club into Mumbles along the main road or along the coast path, you'll come across The Captain's Cabin. Ask to see the chandlery upstairs. Paul stocks a wide range of hardware and sailing clothing; as well nautical gifts and beach goods. Tel: 01792 363448. Paul also does international yacht deliveries.
Swansea Bay tides
Between low tide and 3 hours before high tide the tidal streams are clockwise around the bay. About 3 hours before high tide the streams reverse and remain anti-clockwise until low tide.